Tyler is a bit of a legend at Winnie Palmer Hospital. Actually, we both are.
My due date came and went, and nothing happened.
On Monday (12/10) we went to see the doctor. Still 2-3 cm dilated, 60% effaced.
But it was the measurement of my uterus that was scary. I was measuring for 46 weeks. Up until that point, the measurements had all matched up.
So doctor order an ultrasound for the next day. Estimated weight of Baby Boy: 10.0lbs. But at that point in the pregnancy, they can be off by as much as a pound. So he could easily be only 9 lbs. And the head was only measuring right at 40 weeks, which is probably a little smaller than L's was when I deliverd him at 37 weeks. We discussed the options, and I decided to try a vaginal delivery by an induction. We set the time for Thurs 12/13 at 12:30 am.
Up until that point, I had chosen not to be induced, thinking it better to let little man decide when he was ready... but with him being 9+ lbs and still growing... I decided to go for it.
The next day was Wed, and We tried to get some sleep while we could in the evening. We got to the hospital just after midnight, and by the time everything was all set, the pitocin started at 1:30am... then we waited for contractions to start. About 4:30 I was starting to feel ALOT of pain, but since I didn't want to be a baby I waited a little longer. When I got up the nerve to ask for something, the nurse checked me and I was at 6cm, and she told me if I wanted an epidural I should go ahead and get it now, which I did. Seriously, I love those things. At the shift change around 7:00am they checked me again and I was at 9cm, and had gone from a -1 to +1. They called my doctor to let him know. He was surprised how quickly I had progressed (and so was I) and said he was on his way....
This is the point where they gave me all the information about what would happen if we had to do a c-section, or a bunch of other possible scenarios where the baby gets stuck (I think everyone was nervous about how big he was going to be)
By 7:45ish I had no cervix, and I was sitting there waiting for the doctor to arrive so I could start pushing. The whole room was set up and ready to go...
Just after 8, doctor was there, and once everyone else was ready, I started pushing. There were also 2 nurses and various other staff nearby in case there was any issue.
As I had pushed 2.5 hours with L, I wasn't expecting to be done too quickly, but less than 30 minutes after I started, Tyler was out! That relief that I felt when L's head came out, and the rest was easy - it wasn't like that at all this time. The shoulders were still there, and it took me pushing, a nurse pushing my back to keep me folded forward, the doctor pulling on Tyler's head, and another nurse pushing down on my belly, but we got him out.
No comments:
Post a Comment